In this episode of the birthful podcast, we’re going to be talking about tongue ties and lip ties. If you have no idea what those are, you’re in luck, because Dianne Cassidy will tells us all about them, along with why there seems to be a tongue tie resurgence, how it can affect your best breastfeeding intentions, and what you can do about it.
To listen here, click the play button on the player above, or click here to listen in iTunes.
What we talked about:
- What are tongue and lip ties?
- Is it a fad or higher awareness?
- Why are they are problem for breastfeeding?
- Beyond breastfeeding: other tongue and lip tie problems
- How babies try to compensate for a tongue tie
- Signs of a tongue tie
- Is there an ideal time to identify a tongue tie?
- Procedures to correct tongue and lip ties
- Taking care of a tongue tie after a laser procedure
- Do nipple shields mask tongue ties?
- Bonus: epidurals and their effect on breastfeeding